SSL

I have used SSL on several servers before, but last week I installed a certificate authority on a Windows 2000 box and generated a self-signed cert for a website we’re working on. Today, I tried to generate a cert for our new email server and found that the damned thing will NOT work. It simply won’t load in IE at all, and Mozilla gives me a -8101 error, which is completely flippin’ useless, since I can’t find any info on how to remedy this.

I suspect it’s because the browser doesn’t “trust” the signing authority, but I couldn’t, in the 30 minutes I played with it, find a workaround. I opened up HTTP again, and may have to resort to a true authority like Thawte for this, but I’d really like to solve the problem.

Tagged , ,